Wiki Reports the following about Sneads Ferry. In 1728, Edmund Ennett established a ferry at the site of what is today known as Sneads Ferry. It became a key element in the Post road linking Suffolk, Virginia with Charleston, South Carolina. By 1759, two ferries operated there, one from each bank of New River. Robert Snead was the proprietor of the ferry on the north shore so the community that developed on the banks of the crossing site became known as "Sneads Ferry." Caroline Pearson propelled the ferry until it was replaced with a bridge in 1939. The village is heavily dependent on the seafood industry. The village annually catches over 385 tons of shrimp, 25 tons of flounder, and approximately 493 tons of other seafood like clams, scallops, oysters, mullet, spot, grouper, soft shell and hard shell crabs, sea bass, and more. The town holds an annual Shrimp Festival to honor the local seafood industry.
Copyright 2018 NCRMLS. All rights reserved. North Carolina Regional Multiple Listing Service, (NCRMLS), provides content displayed here (“provided content”) on an “as is” basis and makes no representations or warranties regarding the provided content, including, but not limited to those of non-infringement, timeliness, accuracy, or completeness. Individuals and companies using information presented are responsible for verification and validation of information they utilize and present to their customers and clients. NCRMLS will not be liable for any damage or loss resulting from use of the provided content or the products available through Portals, IDX, VOW, and/or Syndication. Recipients of this information shall not resell, redistribute, reproduce, modify, or otherwise copy any portion thereof without the expressed written consent of NCRMLS.